Cold-Formed Steel Design
[ Back to Structural Services ]
R.A. Smith National’s structural engineers have worked on thousands of cold-formed steel projects over the last 17 years. Our expertise has provided the opportunity for our licensed engineers to work on projects throughout the United States. We are members of the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) and Cold Formed Steel Engineers Institute (CFSEI).
Why Use R.A. Smith National as Your Cold-Formed Specialty Engineer?
R.A. Smith National saves you time and money, simplifies installation and reduces gauges for your project.
- Lump-sum, competitive pricing for easy budgeting.
- Free preliminary member sizing to facilitate your bid estimates.
- 2 to 3 week turnaround on most projects – please call us for current lead times.
- Immediate response when you need answers during design and construction.
- Design solutions adjusted to accommodate your preferences on each project.
- Full-size shop drawings include, but are not limited to:
- Key plan of building showing grids, elevations and section cuts.
- Full-height wall sections showing member sizes and connections.
- On-call engineering support throughout design and construction until the project is complete.
- No welding.
- As an independent cold-formed engineer (versus a supplier specifying their own product) our services save you money.
- High quality, well-detailed and installer-friendly shop drawings.
- Proprietary connector requirements are minimized.
- Gauges shown on contract drawings are reduced whenever possible to save you money.
- One- OR two-piece headers typically provided as alternates – no more 4-piece boxed headers.
- One-piece jambs as alternate to built-up members.
- Extensive experience with all buildings types including both non-load bearing and multi-story load bearing buildings (i.e. hotels, dorms, etc.).
- Licensed and extensive experience on projects throughout the United States.
Many of our Wisconsin cold-formed projects made the 2016 Milwaukee Business Journal Top Construction Projects list.
- Medical College of Wisconsin Professional Office Building, Wauwatosa
- Milwaukee Tool Corporate Headquarters, Brookfield
- St. Augustine Preparatory Academy, Milwaukee
- NML Tower & Commons, Milwaukee
- The Corners of Brookfield, Brookfield
- Froedtert and Medical College of Wisconsin Surgical Remodel, Wauwatosa
- Aurora Surgery Center and Medical Office Building, Burlington
- Wangard Office Development, Milwaukee
- Aurora Medical Center Parking Structure Expansion, West Allis
- Wheaton Franciscan-All Saints Cancer Center, Racine
- Drexel Town Square Health Center, Oak Creek
- Uline Headquarters Building #2, Pleasant Prairie
- Uline Conference Center, Pleasant Prairie
- Racine Unified School District, Racine
- Oak Creek 9th Grade Center, Oak Creek
- Mequon-Thiensville School District, Mequon
- Forest Ridge Elementary School, Oak Creek
- Kenosha Unified School District, Kenosha
Jeff Derra, P.E., LEED AP
Cold Formed Group Leader